Monday, May 17, 2010

Special Olympics Summer Games

May 12th through the 14th I spent my days in Bozeman at the Montana Special Olympics State Summer Games and let me tell you it was AMAZING!!! I am totally inspired by the athletes of Montana and the people involved with Montana Special Olympics. There is absolutely no way that anyone could go there and volunteer and not enjoy themselves. The athletes were so grateful to have me there to hand them their shiny medals. Wednesday was the first day and I headed over to help with the awards for softball throw and tennis ball throw. The weather did not want to cooperate and by 1230 when it was time for me to head over to the gymnastics portion, I looked like a wet dog (thank goodness I










had my outdoor hat in the pickup rather than my Jimmy hat!!) Even though everyone was freezing, the athletes stuck with it, which I thought was awesome. After that I went over to the North Gym, switched hats, pulled my hair back and went to the exciting event. Miss Montana America was there, Britney Wiser, and we really hit it off. I hope to spend some more time with her before she hands off her title. Both Britney and I were invited to the VIP reception held before the opening ceremonies that night. I had just enough time to run home, recurl my hair and get back to the festivities. I am so glad I went!! The opening ceremonies was SO COOL. They had high school pep bands playing, dance teams dancing and EVERYONE was cheering! They had some great presentations, I cried during one of them. Thursday was the equestrian portion and I was really excited for that. When I arrived at the arena several events were going on. Working trail outside and equitation inside. After all was over, I helped the law enforcement with the awards. Thursday night was the dance/carnival and WOW what an event it was! The band was awesome, the prizes they had were spectacular and there was a huge line at the table they had set up for me to sign autographs for the whole 3 hours. I am glad I brought a bunch of autograph sheets. I think I signed 300 or more! The next morning was the closing ceremonies. The Havre teams were there and I was able to sit with them during the presentation. They were drawing for the Chevy pickup along with other prizes, I was crossing my fingers all morning hoping they would draw my name for something. They sold over 67,000 tickets!!!!! After the closing ceremonies we all headed over to the track. There, I again helped the law enforcement with awards. They had 3 award stands set up so the events went by really fast. The weather was fantastic and I have quite the "hand" tan now. Overall, my days at the special olympics were amazing. Everyone was so glad that I could make it and I am so glad I went!! I think that is an event that we should never miss!







PHOTO COURTESTY OF CAMERA GEEK PHOTO







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers