Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Let's Rodeo San Antonio!

Hola!
I just got back from San Antonio, Texas and did I enjoy myself? Yes! Yes I did. Even though it wasn't as cold as Montana can be when I left, it was so nice to go to warm weather in Texas. However, the first night I got there, the temperature went down to 33 degrees. Everyone kept telling me "you brought this weather with you!" Luckily, the rest of the trip was nice with temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees. OnceI arrived in San Antone, the lady hosting me was ready to pick me up. Her name is Julie Kallison and she is a fantastic woman! She chauffered me around to where ever I wanted and always had me to where I needed to be on time. I know that Julie and I will be friends for a long time. Just as I arrived, Miss Rodeo Colorado was leaving, I was able to meet her but didn't get to chat long. What a pleasure it was to meet Miss Rodeo Texas, Devin Felger. We have so much in common that it made the trip absolutely wonderful. The San Antonio Stock Show is huge and they have several committees, no matter what committee we were working with they treated me as if I was on the red carpet! Devin took me downtown where we had lunch on the river walk and I was able to see the Alamo. SO COOL!!


The San Antonio Rodeo is like a mini Wrangler National Finals Rodeo. They hold it in the AT&T Center so it has the big indoor feeling. I wasn't able to ride in the rodeo, but was given access to watch from one of the "Super Boxes" which was awesome, along with helping with the muttin bustin. The kids came from all over Texas to compete in the sheep riding. Before we would walk them into the arena they would chant, "Your going down sheep!" and would tell each rough stock cowboy good job or good luck. Jesse Kruse was competing in the saddle bronc and Sean Case was competing in the bull riding, Gary Rempel was picking up for Calgary Stampede Rodeo and the Kesler's had stock bucking one of the nights too. It is so nice to see some fellow Montanan's when away from home. After each rodeo, Devin and I along with some of the cowboys and bull fighters signed autographs. The people in Texas love autographs, I signed 300 autograph sheets in 3 days and literally came home with zero. During the day, Devin and I spoke to small groups about how important sponsors and scholarships are. One day we were walking through the carnival area and a group of people from a TV show wanted us to say a few things for their show. Turns out the TV station was a spanish station and I don't speak much spanish. Luckily, it was only 2 sentences; "Yo soy Jourdon Han Miss Rodeo Montana" I am Jourdon Han Miss Rodeo Montana and "Vamos el rodeo San Antonio" Let's rodeo San Antonio. It took me a few takes, but oh well! That day I must have had "put me on TV" written on my forehead. That night a producer asked if I would do a pitch for a commercial they are doing to encourage soldiers to have their accomplishments published in local newspapers. I was happy to do it and hopefully will get to see the commercial on TV some day, cross your fingers. They kept us pretty busy while in Texas, but that didn't keep me from shopping during my free time! They had some great booths down there and I found some really cute boots and jewelry. How could I forget! Devin met Gabriel Igleasis (the comedian) marketing director in her hotel and he invited us to meet Gabriel and see the tour bus. We ended up missing Gabriel by a few minutes, but did get to take some pictures with the bus. Lance, the marketimg director is good friends with Toby Keith and was able to set up a meet and greet for Devin to meet him. I was leaving that day so I missed out on that opportunity, but he said if Toby was ever in the Montana area he would set something up :)

I am in Billings for the NRA Finals the rest of the week. Sounds like my days will be filled with school visits, radio interviews and rodeo. Stay tuned for more info!


Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers