Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth...CALGARY!!

As I drove across Montana on Highway 2, I stopped in Rudyard and picked up my Mom and Dad. From there we headed North to Calgary for the famous Calgary Stampede! Thanks to my dad, I got to sleep the entire way. It was amazing! Once we arrived in Calgary we really got to know the city, because we drove around it for 2 hours looking for our hotel. I wish I would have realized that Gary the Garmin (my gps) didn't work in Canada before we left. It was quite the adventure. We jumped on the local Calgary transit and headed to the Stampede grounds. With a million different foods to choose from, my parents and I literally stuffed our faces. Our long time friend, Les from Foremost, AB told us that his friend was one of the chaperones for the Indian Queens. We met up with her and were so glad that we did! During the chuckwagon races we got to stand right on the rail. I literally had mud in my mouth. It was my first chuckwagon experience and it was AWESOME! We stayed for the Grand Stand Show and it was outstanding. The fireworks were absolutely beautiful! The next day was my "host" day. I could only bring along one chaperone, so we left my dad behind. A bunch of other local rodeo courts and I started the day at the Queen's Alumni Pancake Breakfast where we signed several autographs and got to know each other. Our next stop was downtown, where I learned to square dance! My Grandpa and Grandma Han were avid square dancers so it was really fun to learn something they really enjoyed. We stopped at a few more get together's and introduced ourselves and then it was rodeo time!! Can anybody say rain? I didn't know that it could rain as hard as it did during the rodeo. Lucky for the queens, we were able to huddle underneath the stage and still enjoy the rodeo. Unfortunately, we had to cut the trip short and head home after the rodeo. My sister, Bridjour was flying to Australia the next day for basketball and we wanted to see her off. Even though we were only there for a night it was definately worth it! I for sure want to make it up there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers